Skip to main content
- Building Homes for our Heroes – https://www.buildinghomesforheroes.org/ A partnership with Chase assists Building Homes for our Heroes in providing housing to post 9-11 veterans. The organization builds or modifies homes, and gifts them, mortgage-free, to veterans and their families to support the men and women who have loyally and courageously served our country.
- Homeless Veterans 24/7 Hotline 1-877-424-3838. Find a list of veterans homeless assistance by state at www.va.gov/homeless for more information about VA benefits.
- HomeStrong USA www.homestrongusa.org HomeStrong USA focuses on pre and post-purchase education/counseling program, housing opportunities and foreclosure prevention.
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans.www.nchv.org. or 1-800-vet-help Resources for homeless veterans and/or veterans facing homelessness.
- Military Warriors Support https://militarywarriors.org/t4h/ Apply for a home or apartment that suits your needs. Military Warriors Support Foundation awards combat wounded veterans and unmarried Gold Star spouses whose loved ones were Killed-In-Action.
- Service Members Civil Relief (google HUD Service Members Relief Act for the website) https://www.justice.gov/crt-military/scra While protecting the United States during the war on terrorism, some servicemen and servicewomen may face difficulty in meeting certain financial obligations at home, such as rent or mortgage payments, if they are activated for military duty. HUD has taken steps to ensure that service members protecting our country do not suffer the added burden of worrying about the loss of a home. Military personnel should learn about the SCRA and the protections and benefits it provides for themselves and their families. The SCRA can provide many forms of relief to military members. Below are some of the most common forms of relief.
- Mortgage Relief
- Termination of Leases
- Protection From Eviction.
- 6-Percent Cap on Interest Rates
- Stay of Proceedings
- Reopening Default Judgments
- Purple Heart Homes www.purplehearthomesusa.org For PHH Qualified Veterans who are prepared to accept the responsibility of home ownership.* The program’s purpose is to provide PHH Veterans with newly renovated and/or modified homes that have been donated from various sources specifically for the VHOP program. Veterans who meet the requirements and expectations of the Program will have the opportunity to obtain a mortgage and own one of these homes at NO MORE than 50% of the final appraised value. (Not affiliated with the Military Order of Purple Hearts)
- US Vets Inc. – www.usvetsinc.org. This non-profit organization is dedicated to helping homeless and at-risk veterans in their effort to reintegrate to civilian life. 12 locations across the nation and a toll free number for veterans having challenges with reintegration. Excellent resource.
Was this article helpful to you?