Questions to Ask when Seeking a Healing Practitioner
The following questions may be helpful when you are looking for a healing practitioner .
Many times, a receptionist or answering service may receive your initial call. If that is the case, you may ask them if they will send you a copy, fax or email you a copy of the therapists “Statement of Disclosure” which should include information about costs, qualifications, types of therapy used, etc. Additional sources of information can be on the practitioners website or social media page. Seeking out practitioners with licenses and educational qualifications that can be checked are also helpful. All licenses are listed by state licensure board and may be checked for validity through those individual state licensing websites.
Many licenses REQUIRE the healing practitioner to provide this information to EVERY client BEFORE therapy begins. It can be a “red flag” if the practitioner does not have one or is unable or unwilling to answer the following questions.
1. HAVE YOU EVER WORKED WITH CLIENTS WHO HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ___________________? (FILL THIS IN WITH A DIAGNOSIS or SITUATION THAT YOU ARE AWARE IS PART OF WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH)
2. HOW DO YOU HANDLE WORKING WITH YOUR CLIENTS WHO HAVE SIMILAR DIAGNOSIS TO MY OWN?
3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING WITH CLIENTS WHOM HAVE THE SAME DIAGNOSIS or SITUATION AS ME?
4. WHAT ARE YOUR PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
5. DO YOU PLACE A TIME LIMIT ON HOW LONG YOU WILL WORK WITH A CLIENT? EX: I WILL ONLY WORK WITH YOU FOR ONE-TWO YEARS AND NO LONGER.