• American Legionwww.legion.org. Go to a post and click on it to find an American Legion office near you. You can also look at the “How We Serve” link that shows the services they can provide Veterans. American Legion can help you file a disability benefits claim.
  • American Veterans Organizationwww.amvets.org.  Whose goals are service to veterans and communities. The agency is also has national service officers trained to help file veterans benefits claims and there are local chapters listed.
  • Appealing Veterans Benefits Claims can be difficult. The following agencies may be able to assist you in that process. U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims at (202) 501-5950. http://m.uscourts.cavc.gov/
    The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program may be able to help with legal assistance at www.vetsprobono.org or (888) 838-7727. Finally, the National Veterans Legal Services Program may be of assistance for qualified veteran applicants at www.nvlsp.org.
  • Caregiver Support – www.caregiver.va.gov   VA’s website dedicated to family caregivers of Veterans. It can be an incredibly demanding job, and we want you to know you don’t have to do it alone. There is a caregiver toolbox and links to find help near home and additional resources.
  • Disabled American Veteranswww.dav.org.  Go to the “Benefits Assistance” link. It will help explain how to file a disability benefits claim, but you will probably want to locate the DAV office and service representative nearest you and that is also available on that link.
  • E-Benefits – http://www.ebenefits.va.gov A new website for veterans, service members and families to file for benefits on line, view status, access documents and browse links.  After clicking onto the site, you may login using certified data or you may create an account.  (We set this up as a parent easily, however have not been able to determine the value of this account to date, 7-2012)
  • Federal Guide for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors: 2011 Edition http://vets.syr.edu/ This quick link will take you to detailed and up-to-date information regarding Veterans benefits.
  • In Transition – Open to all service branches, including the Guard and reserves, inTransition is part of a Defense Department Health Affairs policy that directs health care providers to screen service members for mental health needs and make referrals to the program to prevent gaps in behavioral health care.
    For a confidential consultation with an inTransition coach, service members can call:

    • 800-424-7877 within the United States
    • 800-424-4685 outside the United States toll-free
  • Military.com – www.military.com and click on “benefits”. In addition to the pensions and benefits to which you may be entitled because of both public and private employment, you may also be eligible for certain benefits based on your military service.
  • The National Archives www.archives.gov.This website offers a robust list of government services, including resources for a veteran’s specific military branch. Plus, veterans can find out about government assistance in their communities, submit requests for lost documents and search for buddies.
  • Navigating Government Benefits & Employment: A Guidebook for Veterans with Disabilities http://vets.syr.edu/ivmf-issues-guide-supporting-employment-of-veterans-military-families/ Download this guide developed in 2011, whose goal is to provide veterans and their families enough information to understand how work income can affect benefits.
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Official site of the primary agency. Provides detailed information on claims submission, appeals and local VA contact information. www.va.gov.  For and ON LINE APPLICATION for veterans benefits, go to http://www.ebenefits.va.gov/.  The form is called VONAPP and can make your application process move much more quickly than the paper version.
  • Similar pages:
    VA Forms – www.va.gov/vaforms/
    Disabled Veterans – www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/
    Veteran Data – www.va.gov/vetdata.
    More results from www.va.govTo register a veteran, you must have the Military ID which is currently known as a DD214 (proof of military service), and any medical records or exam reports that you have available. Only the veteran can register.
  • Veterans Benefits for Seniors – Types of VA benefits specifically for seniors like “Aid and Attendance”, “housebound”, etc.   http://www.benefits.va.gov/persona/veteran-elderly.asp
  • Veterans of Foreign Warwww.vfw.org. Go to the “Assistance” link to find how they can help you apply for Veterans benefits. They will also have a link that will tell you a local office. VFW can help you file a disability benefits claim and advocate for your soldier.
  • Vet Centers http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/ Vet Centers offer a wide range of services to help you make a successful transition from military to civilian life. Services include-individual & group counseling, marital and family counseling, bereavement counseling, medical & benefits referrals, employment counseling. To locate the Vet Center nearest you, click on “find a vet center” in the right hand menu.
  • Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org. The mission of the Wounded Warrior Project is to honor and serve veterans. In the left hand menu there is a place for “advocacy” and “benefits counseling” and they are very active in legislation to support our wounded warriors home.

Was this article helpful to you?

Comments are closed.