Many people think that medical and other benefits are immediately accessible to Veterans. This is a myth. Currently, all medical and other benefits must be applied for by the Veteran. Many veterans are even under the impression that their benefits are “automatic”. They are not.
The reality is that ALL Veteran benefits require a separate and often lengthy application process. For the untrained person AND for the veteran, this can be a very confusing and frustrating challenge.
No matter how difficult the VA system is to navigate, there is NO other option. Veterans have earned these benefits. If the veteran is too ill to advocate for him/herself, then you can contact the American Legion, VFW, AmVets, Red Cross, or Disabled American Veterans (see Benefits & Benefits Assistance). Also, there are Social Workers at the VA hospitals that may help you find a VA Benefits Contact.
Do not give up and do not be intimidated by the process. Do not let anyone minimize your challenge or your frustration. Do what you need to do to get the veteran the benefits they need and see “How to Intervene to Help your Veteran“.
To find out specific types of help available, you may click on the links in the left menu or below on this page.
Coaching Into Care – 1-888-823-7458 (M-F 8-8pm EST)
Specific Detailed Resource Links:
Benefits & Benefits Assistance
How & Where To Get Help
- Benefits & Benefits Assistance
- Caregiver Resources
- Children’s and Youth Resources
- Dental Care
- Family Support
- Financial Assistance
- Homeless Veterans
- Legal Assistance
- Mental Health Resources
- Needs Assistance
- Organizations for Specific Wars & Branches
- Physical Illnesses
- PTSD and TBI Resources/Treatments
- Student Veterans
- War Related Clinician/Community Resources
- Women Veterans
Issues & Help From This Site:
- Vet Readjustment & the Impact to Family & Friends
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms and Resources
- TBI Resources/Treatments
- Why Veterans may be Resistant to Seeking Help
- Support to Help Combat Veterans
- Helpful Tips for Vet & Military Families in Crisis
- Common Diagnosis, Medications & Side Effects for Combat & War Trauma
- Hope and New Life Ahead
Veterans' Families United
P.O. Box 14355
Oklahoma City, OK 73113